Monday, May 10, 2010

Yarnbombing Rockingham


Thought I'd do my first yarnbombing installation on the Rockingham foreshore park this weekend. I didn't want to create yarn graffiti that could be used only once, and I didn't want to sew any seams. The blue/grey lighting bollards seemed to be a perfect target for a stripy sock thing, to keep them warm, of course, for the coming winter.

I measured up, didn't swatch (never do as I don't mind making mistakes, as long as I learn from them) and ended up with this acrylic bollard sock which should stand up to some rough and tumble for a little while. This one was done using the long tail cast on method for stretchiness, but with only 80sts and knit in a 2x2 rib, it was a bit of a snug fit. Next time I'll co 92 sts.

I've added a luggage tag which is a bit too big for my liking. Will have to refine that idea further. Anyway, it says "Life is empty without passion" on one side, and "I knit; therefore I am" (with apologies to Descartes). I've mentioned ravelry.com as being a site for obsessive knitter type people, but I haven't signed off as the creator of the bollard sock (yet) - might change my mind later.

Anyway, my idea of yarnbombing is that it should not harm the environment, it should be enough to raise a little smile (as opposed to a smirk, preferably), it should be re-usable, fun to do and on occasion, be aesthetically pleasing or at least quirky. I aimed for the re-usable category for this first one.

Update: three days later - it's gone :(

No comments:

Post a Comment